Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Day 2








~On the second day I got to paint a mural on the wall of the orphanage, Dulce Refugio. There was no access to paint so, I had to be creative and I used colored Sharpie markers. We had 3 colors of paint (white, green, and blue). I asked one of the teens that came with us if she wanted to help me paint. We worked until after lunch. The guys dug a ditch for the front gate and fence.
~That afternoon we went to a place called, “Horse Tail Falls”. It was so beautiful. And after dinner we went into town to look around.
~New notes... a year later...
I have to share that when I first became a Christian I prayed that God would give me Christian girlfriends. One of the first Christian girlfriends I had was, Leah. She invested so much time into me. She is a talented artist and she had made her boys a train table with a painted top. I was so impressed with it that she offered to help me paint the table that Lee built for our kids. She taught me the Sharpie marker trick.
Who would have ever known that God would use that "skill" years later in Mexico?
I look at things like that sometimes and marvel at how the details of everyday life and of our everyday walk with Him can be used in unexpected ways. It was an awesome feeling when we finished that mural and I thought to myself, "Thank you, God, that you showed me I do have gifts you can use." My biggest fear before we left was that I would be "dead weight". I'm not talented, or gifted, or special. I can't sing, play guitar, or speak Spanish. I'm a stay-at-home mama. I haven't been a Christian very long. I don't know all the books of the Bible or half the stories my kids come home from Sunday school with.... I am learning all about God with them!
Leah is still one of my very closest friends and I watch her walk with God closely to see where He's taking her... I know I can follow her because she follows the example of Christ.
"Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ..." 1 Corinthians 11:1

No comments: